Saturday, June 9, 2007

Another Nightmare


This was a very disturbing nightmare I had recently. I don't remember most of it. I only remember being in a strange house, standing atop a staircase, and seeing my late husband lying at the bottom dead with his neck broken. It was so horrifying!

My sister said she heard a strange house can be symbolic of new situations or unfamiliar territory psychologically. My husband may only be symbolic of financial security. "Why does my subconscious have to be so morbid about it?!" I asked. She said, "maybe that's the only way it knows how to get your attention." Well it's definitely got my attention.

My naturopath feels that my health and success [or lack of it] are being affected by some emotional issues related to my husband's death. I agree, but don't really know how to go about dealing with this, so I thought I would use my art as therapy. Unfortunately, I've not been happy with anything I've done lately. I'm not sure why.

This illustration bothers me. I don't know if it's because it so disturbing or if it's just not very good. Is it too colorful? Should it be darker to fit the dream? Does the background go with the style of the foreground?

I chose the background for personal reasons rather than for affect. I'm not sure it works, though. It's a photograph of Enchanted Rock, a place where my husband and I used to love to go. Back then, he always took the photos because, well, I just wasn't very good at it. This photo, however, is one that I took the only time that I've been back since his passing. I'm hoping to get an unbiased opinion. What do you think?

3 comments:

Peruby said...

I think that the illustration is very good. I am not much on dream interpretation but I feel you are on the right path in expressing yourself in the art.
~Peruby

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Hi Blue Rose--I actually have studied dream Shamanism with with Robert Moss and several other Shamanic teachers and I wish I had more time to talk to you about this dream--we are leaving shortly for Slovenia and are in a real pinch time-wise--maybe when I get back.

The picture is fine the way it is, but if it bothers you, try some additional iterations of it.

Write the dream--as much as you can remember--in the FIRST PERSON PRESENT as if it is happening now. Write it from your own view point and then from the view point of each of the major players. That would include your late husband and the stairway. Carry on a conversation with them--I'd recommend writing it out. Husband, who are you? (Use his name). You may find several answers. That's OK. Feel inside your heart for the feelings as you do this and record them. Questions to ask--

Could this really happen? (sometimes dreams are premonitions, but if your husband is already passed, it is more likely to be symbolic in some way.)

Write a "Slogan" and a title for this dream--short and sweet, something that gets to the kernel of meaning.

(I also studied gestalt therapy dreamwork and I love having conversations with parts of the dream). I love dreams.

Write a poem about it.

Write a short story about it. Use the kernel of truth and terror as the pivotal point or climax of the story.

How can you honor the dream and it's message?

When you go to sleep, ask for a clarifying dream or another dream on the same topic.

Wake up inside the dream and look around.

Mary

I'll be away June 14-28 in Slovenia.

If the dream is still with you after that, let me know.

bluerose said...

Thanks Puruby, and thanks Mary. Mary, you've made me think. I had already wrote about the dream and titled it Broke Neck Dream. I didn't think about why I named it that until reading your comment. I'm not sure what the broken neck means. Unfortunately, because I was so upset when I woke, I don't remember anything else about the dream. I'm going to try your advice. Thanks and have a safe trip.